It is that time of year again... The beloved gorgefest that is the thanksgiving holiday. This is a time when families are coming together, a time when the football season is getting exciting, a time when festive memories are being made, and a time when many people are recounting what they are thankful for. I can recount many things that I have been thankful for over the years, my wife, my daughter, my family, my apartment, my car, and so on, yet in all these things I only have one person to whom I am thankful to. As a Christian I always think about James 1:17 during the thanksgiving season which reads, " Every good and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." As I ponder this verse I am again reminded that I am most thankful for Jesus Christ and that I am also most thankful to Jesus Christ! So, this year as we are all mindful of what we are thankful for, let us be encouraged by ten truths from the book of Romans and give thanks to The LORD!
Thanks be to God
- "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. -Romans 3:23-25a
- "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God." -Romans 5:1-2
- "For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him." -Romans 6:7-8
- "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 6:22-23
- "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." -Romans 8:1
- "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." -Romans 8:11
- "For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" -Romans 8:15-16
- "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28
- "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39
- "Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, 'Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.' For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For 'everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'" Romans 10:9-13
We truly do have much to give thanks for and we give it all to Him who alone is worthy of all honor, glory, praise, and thanks! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!